These pakoras (pakorae?) are very different from the pakoras you get in North India, and to be honest, they changed my life a little bit.
Here’s the recipe:
- In a bowl, add 3 thinly sliced onions
- Add 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger and 3 chopped green chillies
- Add 7 tbsp gram flour (Besan) and 3 tbsp Rice flour. The rice flour will make these fritters nice and crisp.
- Add salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Add a handful of curry leaves, 1/4 cup of cold water and mix the batter by hand. The batter should be fairly tight, so if it’s looking too runny, add more besan to the bowl.
- Heat canola / rice bran / sunflower oil in a wok
- Shape into little balls and deep fry till golden brown
Serve with ketchup or some of my Pulitzer prize winning Hurry Chutney.