Recipe makes 4 cups
- Boil two cups of water
- To boiling water (important), add 2 tbsp tea – Darjeeling / Assam and cook for 2 min on medium heat
- Throw in 3 cloves, 3 green cardamoms, and a small piece of mace
- Add 2 tsp powdered dry ginger
- Add as much sugar as you like and bring the whole mixture to a boil.
- Add two cups of whole milk and stir
- Boil the pot for at least five minutes
- Add 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper just before you switch off the stove.
- Strain into that fugly teapot your aunt gave you as a wedding present
- Serve hot
This is the part where I start sounding like I work in the lipstick aisle at Sephora. Pay attention the colour of your chai. It’s supposed to be a blushing shade of brown, bordering on orange. Not some insipid, suspicious looking brownish-white situation, okay? You don’t want it too dark either.