- Heat 2 tbsp ghee + 2 tbsp canola oil
- Throw in 2 large sliced onions and cook till soft
- Throw in 15 cashew nuts and cook till the onions are brown
- Remove from heat, cool and blend to a paste using some water
- In the same wok, heat 1 tbsp ghee + 1 tsp canola oil. Throw in 1 tsp Shah Jeera (black cumin seeds), 1 black cardamom and 1 pinch of mace
- Add 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste and a splash of water. Cook noisily for 2 min.
- Chuck in your chicken. Use skinless chicken on the bone. I used 600 gm chicken thighs and drumsticks cut into medium pieces.
- On high heat, cook the chicken till you see light browning on all sides. You just want to sear it lightly on the outside. Should take about 5 min.
- Remove the chicken from the wok and let it rest in front of the TV
- To the same wok, add the blended onion-cashew paste and cook on high heat for 2 min. Add a splash of water if you think it’s starting to stick to the bottom of the wok.
- Time to hit it with some powdered spices – 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 heaped tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli, 3 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- Cook well, till the whole mixture looks shiny
- Bring back the chicken from the TV room and gently fling it into the wok
- Add 2 tbsp yoghurt and 1 tbsp Pandan / Keora water. Season with salt and mix well.
- Slam a lid on top and let the chicken cook on low heat for 25 min
Give it a stir once in between but pretty much let it do its thing.
- Garnish with a few dollops of fresh cream, slit green chillies and julienned ginger
- Serve with naan, pulao or apple pie
Over and out!